Tuesday 1 July 2014

Classroom Ideas

I know this topic might not appeal to all of you but a lot of you may like having a nosey into people's spaces just like me. Therefore, I thought I would share with you some of the ideas I have for my classroom in September. 

The thing I have found most difficult when planning the decor in my room is the fact that i'm in the upper years of the school. That means that some of the cute, bright, silly ideas I've seen won't be appropriate for my 10 year old pupils. Whilst I've got to create an inspiring, useful and interactive classroom, I've also got to remember that my 10 year old, slightly hormonal boys will not appreciate glitter and rainbows. 

So, I decided to turn to Pinterest (where else) and a few other teaching blogs to gain some ideas for my classroom. Hopefully I will be able to show you my own versions in September when I am all moved in.



Can we just start by appreciating how beautiful these colours are! I'm thinking of creating these letters to make a sign for our door saying "Class 12". I've looked online and fabric letters are SO expensive to buy so i'd be happy to make these myself by cutting out letters from cardboard and wrapping them in wool/fabric.

This is a great activity for my class to get on with in the morning or when they have finished their tasks. It will appeal to the older children, it needs no teacher explanation and it's easy to maintain. Once I have initially set it up, they can just shuffle the pack of cards to choose new numbers each day! 

Pegs are a teachers best friend. I never realised this until recently but when you have different piles of papers everywhere for different lessons and abilities it can get a bit overwhelming. I want to personalise pegs like this but instead of having days I want to use subjects. Then all my resources for the day will be organised and ready.

When I read this print I knew I had to have it in my classroom somewhere. Not only does it looks pretty, it stands for something the children really need to be aware of. My new school is full of high achievers that don't experience failure very often which is great but it also has it's downsides. In life people need to fail and make mistakes as you learn more that way. I want my pupils to learn that and not be scared of getting things wrong. Therefore I am printing this off and making it a poster in my classroom.

I love the idea of having bunting in a classroom but I don't want to copy this idea above. Instead I want to have bunting with the children's photos on as part of the "Our Class" display. 

Now this idea will not work with my 10 year old pupils as they will think it's ridiculous but it's definitely an idea i'm going to keep in the bank for when I have a younger age group. It's simply an empty bottle so you can spray it and pretend it makes a child quiet. Brilliant!

This storage system just screams out to the tiny part of OCD I have deep inside me. It's such an easy and free way to create storage and I would definitely consider these for our class set of pencils.

And of course my desk...the aspect i'm most excited about. I can't wait to get all my stationary and desk organisers! I'll definitely be popping over to MUJI to get some filing and storage systems for what will possibly be the prettiest teacher desk of all time.



I hope you enjoyed this slightly different post and if you have any ideas for me I would really appreciate it!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas, my mother is a Kindergarten teacher and I'm sure she would love some of these ideas as well! Lovely post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so exciting setting up your classroom for a new school year. Any words of wisdom from your mum? :)

      Delete

Scroll
to Top